Seattle gunman kills 2 in ‘random’ attack



Seattle police say a man opened fire on motorists in what authorities call a “random” attack that left two dead and two injured Wednesday afternoon. One man was fatally shot and another killed in a car crash. The suspect was taken into custody. (March 28)

Two people were killed and two others injured Wednesday afternoon in Seattle after a gunman opened fire on several vehicles and carjacked another.  

Police said they took the gunman into custody after a brief standoff.

Deputy Police Chief Marc Garth Green told reporters: “We believe it’s a random, senseless act. We’re outraged at what this suspect did.”

The gunman approached a 56-year-old female driver near the Lake City neighborhood and shot her while trying to steal her car, Green said, before walking into the street and firing at a southbound Metro bus.

The driver turned the bus around, taking it to a safe place before sounding an alarm and reporting he was shot, Green said.

Police said the suspect then approached another driver in a red Prius, shooting and killing him. Green identified him as a 50-year-old man, the Seattle Times reported. 

The gunman climbed into the Prius and sped away when police arrived. He crashed into another vehicle nearby, killing the other driver, a 70-year-old man. Police said they then took the gunman into custody. 

Elementary shootings: Father of Sandy Hook victim latest apparent suicide after deadly school shootings

After Christchurch: This 95-year-old World War II veteran took 4 buses to make an anti-racism rally in New Zealand


The suspect was under police guard at a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries on Wednesday night, police said. The female driver and male bus driver were receiving treatment at the same facility. 

Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan and King County Executive Dow Constantine said they are grieving for the dead and supporting the injured. Constantine identified the bus driver as 53-year-old Eric Stark, calling him a hero for driving the bus to a safe place. 

Stark was shot in the torso, but walked to a gurney to be taken to the hospital, according to Kenneth Price, president of Amalgamated Transit Union Local 587. 

A Seattle Fire Department spokesperson identified the suspect as 33 years old, the Seattle Times reported. 


The investigation is ongoing. Police said a motive for the shooting was not immediately clear. 


Contributing: The Associated Press

Read or Share this story:

Source link

Next Post

Login to your account below

Fill the forms bellow to register

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.