The Ultimate Guide To Choosing the Best Wire-free Bras
In this time of working from home, with a focus on wellness and self-care, we are all about comfort. One of the comforts that we are embracing is the wireless bra. But choosing the right one is key! What we are wearing says a lot about what we are feeling. With the heightened focus on wellbeing, we wanted to share with you how a wire-free bra can be the solution for comfort and support. A wireless bra with the right design, fabric and construction will make you feel comfortable, confident and look great.
Wire-free bras are enjoying growth in the “Home Leisure” trend. Lyst, a unique source of global fashion search engine, has reported global searches for lingerie are up by 15 percent. At the end of March intimate apparel retailer Figleaves reported sales of non-wired bras and bralettes are up 40 percent for the week compared to the same week the year before.
Industry expert, President and Founder of Dora L. International (DLI), Dora Lau, explains, “Each morning as we decide what to wear for the rest of the day, comfort is often what we crave. Women are focusing on wellness and self-care in all parts of their lives, including the way we think about the bras we wear. This has created greater demand for wireless bra styles.”
While there are many fashion bloggers writing about this new trend, few mention the three core wireless bra styles. Lau explains: Padded Wireless Bras are designed with a soft molded fabric over the pad that cradles and lifts in a comfortable way. Known for being lightweight, Unlined Wireless Bras do not have any padding in the cups and the fabric does all of the work. Seamless Wireless Bras are available in several ways: no pad, sewn on or inserted light contour pads that work with your natural shape. In general, this style does not have hook and eye to offer support, so it is most suitable for women who wear a C cup and smaller.
Dora Lau’s advice for what a wireless bra should offer:
- Comfort – A wireless bra shouldn’t be too tight in any one place. It should feel comfortable and offer support so that you would want to wear for more than eight hours a day
- Shape – Wire-free bras need to give women a nice shape, particularly when wearing a t-shirt or other close-fitting garments. Here’s a helpful hint: To make sure you like the shape, stand in front of the mirror with a t-shirt on. Look at yourself from all sides. You should have a nice natural lift and shape. “If your shape is too saggy, you’re wearing the wrong size. Go down a size in the cup
- Good Construction – A bralette is a wire free bra that does not support as well as a good engineered wireless bra. Check the cups of the bra and make sure that it has a little bit of room or “give”. Wire-free bras should come with a hook and eye closure to allow the back to be adjusted for better support. This is especially important for women who wear a size D cup or higher
- A Focus on Full Figure – For curvy customers who prefer unlined bras, innovative bonding and hot-melt technologies can be applied to fabrics for better support
Here are some of Lau’s favorite picks:
Soma COOLING Wireless Bra – This bra lets you have it all including wireless support and cool-to-the-core sensation. Exclusive fabric transfers heat, while strappy details and mesh trim offer a pretty look.
Cacique Intimates Cotton Unlined No-Wire Bra. Super-soft knit bra with double-layer, no-wire cups for seamless natural shaping and support.Features straps & hooks, wide adjustable straps, and hook-and-eye closure.
“The future of wireless comfort and what it means for wellness and sustainability is constantly focused on innovation. Technology is not just for Silicon Valley, it’s for the lingerie department too!” says Lau. According to Lau, the evolution of wireless comfort will focus on:
- Fabrics that offer sustainability and/or wellness benefits. Recycled materials that are soft and light. Fabrics that are moisture wicking, breathable and quick drying add benefits that focus on self-care
- Adjustable Back Straps for multi-wear criss-cross options
- Cup Shapes can be engineered for more support and natural lift
- Open Front styling that allows air to flow and can be worn with lower cut necklines
- Bra Cup Technology – Flexible foam follows the body’s contour and is softer and less bulky. Breathable foam and spacer materials are materials that allow air flow and improved comfort
- Bottom Cradle evolves with soft flexible “stretch foam” to reduce digging under the bust and move with the body
- Straps that are a wider width for greater comfort and support for curvy women wearing a C-D cup or higher
- Elastic bands have evolved with new features for comfort for example, brush micro-denier elastic for stretch and recovery
- Back Closures are streamlined and cushioned
“Whether you are trying out wire-free bras or are sticking with your favorite underwire bra, know that shape and support will give you maximum confidence no matter your size. When you are comfortable and not pulling and pulling, you will feel great. Women deserve it!” says Lau.